Surf Strength Program
My aim is to help you spend more time in the water and surf at a higher level without breaking your body.
- This program consists of 2 x 45 min workouts & 20 min of stretching/mobility exercises each week
- Cardio workouts included
- It has been specifically designed to prepare your body to meet the demands of surfing and being in the ocean
- You don’t need to be spending hours at a time training. We’re surfers, not bodybuilders and let’s face it, we’d rather be surfing than in the gym!
- All exercises can be done at home or the gym!
- All you need is a swiss ball to get started (first 3 weeks of program) then minimal equipment required (see list below)
The program’s flexible and can be adjusted according to:
- Your personal goals such as more upper body endurance or building muscle
- How much training experience you have
- How much you’re surfing
- Other training you may be doing
Surf Strength Program
The Program Will Help You:
- Surf stronger
- Move better
- Increase your upper body endurance for paddling
- Surf with more power
- Increase your fitness
- Prevent injuries both in and out of the water
- Recover better
- Spend more time in the water
What You Get:
A 12-Week Video Training Program consisting of:
- 12 weeks access to the program
- Over 40 surf-specific strength exercises
- Stretches and mobility exercises
- Cardio workouts
- Flexible workouts you can adjust to your needs
- Ongoing support via the Facebook group
How To Use The Program
Base Phase (week 1-4)
This forms the base for all the following phases:
- We work on strengthening the small stabiliser muscles which are so important in surfing and aligning posture before going too heavy or doing any advanced exercises such as power training. This often overlooked phase is probably the most important because it forms the base for the rest of the program. If you go heavy or do power training without building a proper base first you may get some short term gains but you’ll also be more likely to get injured!
Strength Phase (week 5-12)
Emphasis on building:
- Full body strength
- Some muscle
- Upper body endurance for paddling
- Develop the reflexes required in surfing by using equipment such as the boso and swiss ball
Power Phase (week 13-16)
We’ve been working on building a strong body that moves well in the previous phases so now it’s time to:
- Develop the power needed to paddle faster, hit that lip harder, throw more spray with your turns, or get more air if that’s your thing!
- This phase also has a big emphasis on joint stability
- Surfing can be very hard on your body and can beat up your joints, strain muscles and eventually break your body. This is why doing the right type of stretches and mobility exercises are so important to us as surfers for performance and longevity.
Doing the right type of stretches and mobility exercises will help you:
- Move better
- Correct posture
- Stabilise joints
- Activate muscles
- Avoid injury
These exercises should be used every time before you train to get you moving better or whenever you feel sore or tight to help you recover better.
The stretches and mobility exercises in this program can also be used before you surf to increase your performance and decrease your chance of injury.
- Suspension straps or gym rings
- Swiss ball 55cm or 65cm depending on your height
- Dumbells or a pair of adjustable dumbells
- Long Resistance band – 1 x medium resistance
Weights and resistance bands are approximate and will vary
depending on your strength & ability.
Good To Have
- Bosu ball
- Small Band for squats and hip extensions
- Medicine ball – 5kg or heavier
- Workout mat
What Our Clients Are Saying…
Phil Childs - Retired